[Noisebridge-discuss] Wingnuts

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 22:48:10 UTC 2012

> I am rather disappointed that the Noisebridge community is not open-minded
> enough to be looking forward to meeting this scientist, hearing his views,
> and having a chance to ask questions.

A scientist... does science.  You're only as good as the data and studies
you put out.

Take this guy who put out a "theory of everything" using gyres, including
an "Ohiogyre"

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-02/hilarious-theory-everything-paper-provokes-kerfuffle-hullabaloo-foofaraw

Having read the paper, it sure looks like the guy had a nervous breakdown.
 It got published, but no-one is pointing to it as a scientific paper
(except as an example of what not to do).  Meanwhile, the guys who said
neutrinos are apparently faster than light, because they provided all the
science and all the data they had and said "guys, we're as confused as you
are" -- they're good.

You don't get a bad reputation like this guy has without really, really
working at it.

Will.