[Noisebridge-discuss] Gained in translation?

Miguel el.badbit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 07:45:18 UTC 2012

I think the word is borrowed from english in those other languages. I'm a
native spanish speaker, and there isn't any exact equivalent to "hacker" in
spanish. When you mean a "hack writer" you just use some other words that
have very little to do with hacking in any sense of the word.

I suspect the word "hack" has pretty much an english origin, and few
equivalents in other languages.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Tony Longshanks LeTigre <
anthonyletigre at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious what the word equivalent to "hacker" is in other languages.
> Speaking as a connoisseur of the branch of art appreciation I call
> "linguistic aesthetics," I must say that hack, hacker, hacking etc are not
> the most lovely words in English. How does one say Hacker in
>
> German
> French
> Spanish
> Japanese
> Chinese
> etc?
>
> Also, I've been wondering if the term "hack" as applied to a rank amateur
> - for instance, the disparaging term "hack writer" - is connected to our
> definition of hacking. Anyone know? Hopefully there's a lovely etymology
> for the word "hack" somewhere that spells it all out.
>
> I *heart* etymology. Sincerely. I love that language truly and visibly
> does evolve before our very eyes the same way everything else does, and in
> a process akin to natural selection as I understand it. It's memetically
> delicious!
>

> TLongshanksLT

Usa *Dropbox*, un servicio que respalda tus archivos en línea
automáticamente. Te ahorrará lágrimas, sudor y sangre. Si usas mi link para
inscribirte nos regalarán 250 Mb: http://db.tt/VFh3oBeJ