[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control & Safety, both personal and general space.

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Feb 8 19:25:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Shannon Lee <shannon at scatter.com> wrote:
> I kind of like the idea of calling a German phone number and letting it ring
> in order to open the gate.

Ditto, it could be a fun feature to have (being German and all).
However, I think that having a number that anyone can call that will
open the gate is even *worse* than having people get buzzed in and not
greeted. With such a system, responsible persons at the space wont
even know the gate was buzzed.

> It'd be even better if we could rig it so you had to call, let it ring a
> specific number of times, hang up, then call back...

Unfortunately, it's not possible to accurately count (as a call
receiver) how many rings a caller has heard, especially in the case of
SIP. The ringing state is signalled and the ringing synthesized,
rather than being an audio stream that both ends can see.

--j