[Noisebridge-discuss] roof leak in NE corner

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Feb 8 20:28:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Apparently the roof has been leaking in the NE corner of the space (the
"lasercutter room") for several days / weeks.

The proximate cause, as we discovered last night, is that several soda
cans were blocking the drain in the NE corner causing water to pool on
the flat roof.

Someone apparently tried to fix the problem by putting a tarp "over" the
"hole" in the roof.

Quick lesson in flat roofs -- you fix them by getting the water off
ASAP, not by adding obstructions to cause the water to linger.  Despite
at least 12 hours of dry weather yesterday, the tarp still had trapped a
few gallons of water.  Furthermore, a tarp doesn't help prevent pooled
water from leaking through the roof.

We removed the tarp and all the debris on the roof that could block the
drains.

I'm glad somebody tried to address the problem, but I really wish they'd
told anyone else that the problem had only been temporarily addressed.
Please please please send email or call or SMS *somebody* when there's a
structural problem like this.

I've spoken to the landlord and they'll have someone come by to patch
the hole in the tar roof and evaluate the plaster damage in the
lasercutter room.

We'll probably need to seal off the problem area during their work using
painter's plastic to avoid filling the kitchen with plaster dust.

Thanks,
-andy