[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge security issues

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Feb 8 20:47:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Jehan Tremback
<jehan.tremback at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, it seems that Noisebridge is having some issues with people
> threatening the space with guns etc. Obviously this is unexcellent.
>
> Let me humbly put forward an idea that might mitigate potential problems:
>
> Make a $10 supporting member tier, and put an RFID lock on the door.
> Restrict access to those who have paid their $10 (or more) monthly fee, and
> their guests. Keep the voting privilege etc. for the $40 and $80 dollar
> members. $10 is not going to break the bank for most people, but the simple
> fact of having to sign up and get the card should keep randoms off the
> street out. The ideal of having access for anyone is a beautiful one, but
> seems to have some problems in execution on the streets of SF.

There has been some opposition in the past (and I suspect we'd see it
again) to an RFID-based system. The concern I heard voiced most often
was that the RFID device could be queried outside of Noisebridge,
enabling meat-space tracking of members.

That said, this idea could be just as awesome with other
authentication token types.

</two cents>

Cheers,
jof