[Noisebridge-discuss] KISS solution to Access control & Safety

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:52:46 UTC 2012

On Feb 8, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:

> For when the keypad breaks, I would assume.

The constant stream of people ringing the doorbell will encourage the hackers upstairs to join the do-ocracy and quickly fix the broken keypad. It's a feature, not a bug :)

>> b) Who is going to pick the lock? Are the people who I see being spoken of on the list actually told officially that they are no longer welcome, or is there just [drama] and key revocation? If somebody has been told they are *not welcome* officially, and they pick a lock, they're at risk of being arrested.
>
> Anyone that wants in. I wasn't even thinking about their motivation.

My point is, I don't think that lock picking the front door is going to be a major issue. Very few strangers to NB will feel comfortable picking a door on a street to get in.

>> c) What about a simple 125 kHz RFID reader? Tags are <$2, compact, unique, etc.
>
> There's been some resistance to this in the past because it means that
> anyone that's carrying the authentication token for the gate can also
> be tracked.

Reading 125kHz passive tags from a distance isn't very easy. I suspect it's a lot easier to sniff other devices you carry.

Having alternate mechanisms with revocability such as QR, or datamatrix, caller ID, etc. seems like a good idea.