[Noisebridge-discuss] A modest proposal.

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Feb 9 01:20:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:

> You cannot have both without tempting fate.  We've had every warning
> possible that something bad will happen here.  When it does some
> asshole will probably say you were told this would happen.  But that
> doesn't change a goddamned thing.

There are definitely things that can be done to mitigate disaster, and one
of the endearing things that you don't really see on this mailing list or
IRC is just how many of those steps are regularly taken at NB, usually
without fuss or discussion because they're obviously good ideas.

I know it always seems like Noisebridge is constantly on fire or about to
overtaken by armed brigands, but last night there were fifty or so people
working on everything from spacebridge to start-ups to sewing to
camera-hacking. There were thirty people alone working on the problems
you're hearing here. Others were fixing stuff, making it safer, cleaning it
up.

That said, there are *endless* terrible fate-temptations that Noisebridge
engages in. When one of the million really dreadful things that everyone
envisages happens (out of the ones that have not already happened),
*everyone* will say goddamit we knew that this would happen.

People get killed at Burning Man, which is *insane*, and entirely
predictable. They are tempting fate for art, which I hope you will agree is
an even more lowly pursuit than soldering in the early morning.

The question is, of course, what things should you quit doing, and what
things should you pursue given the risks. Very specifically at the meeting
someone brought up the joy of the 1AM soldering lesson, and someone else
brought up your calculus. The feeling of the meeting was, I think, on the
side of the joy, rather than the fear of the drama.

Stop tempting fate for no good reason.

We're all tempting fate, it's what we do when we defy augury. What are good
and bad reasons to do so is a lot harder to determine, and up to the
respective communities to decide.

If it worries you, think of it less as tempting fate, and more as trolling
the gods.