[Noisebridge-discuss] A modest proposal.

jim jim at well.com
Thu Feb 9 23:13:30 UTC 2012

    The idea of the fire marshall appear in a formal
capacity certainly scares the stuff out of me.
    The idea that one or more errant personages would
do something really negatively rad in the space, such
as starting a fire or physically injuring someone or
any other headline-grabbing behavior would likely be
seriously traumatic to the community.

    I like the hardware ideas a lot (keypad, lock on
the upstairs door...!

    One of the downsides of rules is the requirement
to have some personages to enforce them.
    Policies don't have such a requirement; they're
general, not specific, and hopefully guide people's
behavior. Trouble is, how to propagate policies? Signs?
Institute the roll of advice-mama (someone, any gender,
has to take a shift to be aware and greet and advise
gently...).
    I like the idea of formalizing rolls. Doing so
would require regular forgiveness, as the roll would
often not be filled, and sometimes if filled Done It
wrong (DIW). Besides advice-mama, maybe evening shop
steward, garbage night coordinator, janitor (brave and
good Al Sweigart tried this with some success)....
    The suggestion is only that some of us make an
effort to raise consciousness about this stuff and do
so by committing our own selves to filling the rolls
and hope that we can attract others (best I can tell,
this is really how it's done anyway, whatever "it" is,
in communities with rules and police); always helpful
to stay in touch with each other and be supportive.