[Noisebridge-discuss] door code keypad idea times two

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Feb 10 12:36:53 UTC 2012

Rachel Lyra wrote:
> What about a code being required in order to operate the buzzer from
> the inside, ie you need to know a code to let other people in?

I like this idea the best.  It is basically Kelly's hot-tub code idea
extended to the button at the top of the stairs (inside) as well.

what we need is a keypad terminal that operates over a serial connection
to a computer like minotaur (the circuitboard screwed to the Wall O Tubes
above the "server room" door).  minotaur has several serial ports already,
and also happens to be the computer that activates the door-opener through
its USB parallel port.

the terminal would be a boarduino connected to a (metal payphone) numeric
keypad, a few LEDs, and a speaker.  It would accept keypresses and make a
pleasing beepy noise as they're entered, and then make a happy or sad
noise depending on the response from the other end of the serial line.

It would be a simple hardware terminal for this purpose, and if someone
else will code up the software, i will build the hardware.

and we can put one at the upstairs buzzer by the door, and another one at
the sidewalk by the gate!  two birds with one stoned!

-jake

P.S. the serial interface would be simple - keypresses (including * and #)
are passed from the terminal to the computer as ascii, when they happen.
The computer sends single-byte commands to the terminal to make tones of
different frequencies and durations, or to turn on or off the LEDs.