[Noisebridge-discuss] Upstairs door latch mechanism?

Casey Callendrello c1 at caseyc.net
Fri Feb 10 17:06:30 UTC 2012

It is being proposed as an imperfect but doable solution to a known
problem: gate riders. We saw it happen last night, thanks to your video
camera (which, btw, is awesome). It was someone who lived in a SRO and
been told that Noisebridge was "a cool place to sit and use the
Internet." We told him otherwise, that NB is for projects, and he
wandered off. It happened to be myself, Shannon, and WillS. I would not
have felt comfortable with these sorts of confrontations alone, every
day, and I don't think that's weird.

I think it is impossible to solve access solely in the sidewalk gate,
but agree that it would be preferable. Can the glass doors be brought
back in to service? More important than the physical security gained by
locking upstairs is the message it sends: that Noisebridge is a place
that cares about who enters.

Lets be honest: By disabling all but one lock mechanisms, and buzzing in
whoever had the hacker skill to ring the doorbell, Noisebridge
essentially relied on security through obscurity. Every hacker knows
that, at some point, obscurity cannot last. That time for us has passed.