[Noisebridge-discuss] Upstairs door latch mechanism?

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 03:09:48 UTC 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 7:00 PM, Shannon Lee wrote:

> It needn't be the responsibility of the people physically in the space to make this judgement; we've been over a long list of reasons why people in the space are mostly prone to just letting people in without asking...

I still think the fundamental problem is:
1. Person shows up believing they are entitled to enter
2. Existing resident must inform them that it has been determined they aren't entitled to enter/remain

Q: If there was a strict *members only* time, would people feel they have the same issues telling people they're not allowed in? "Just following orders^Wrules, nothing personal"

I think the only way to really solve this problem is to make strangers feel they are only allowed to visit for a very limited time. If, during this time, the member(s) who are showing them around / hacking with them determine that they appear to be good hackers, then the visitor can be informed that they can stay longer and hack on their own without such close supervision.

"Welcome to NoiseBridge, here's a brochure, let's take a quick tour, let's see if we can find somebody you can hack with."

It sounds like more work for members, but vetting guests is going to be work.

I would also support something like puzzle-based gate keycodes. As the *only* way to get in. You can tell people trying to sneak in with you, "members only, go to the web site to figure out how to become a member, it's actually pretty easy." If they seem sober, you can ask them if they're a hacker, and choose to invite them in, or if they seem like they're not a hacker you can simply encourage them to come back when they've "joined".

Thanks,

gopi.