[Noisebridge-discuss] Entry & Security

Tao Neuendorffer Flaherty neuendorffer at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 12 04:52:04 UTC 2012

I believe that "us" can be rehabilitated.

I have been stalked, physically assaulted, sexually assaulted, and repeatedly told that women can't hack by fellow computer science majors.

To say that this negatively affected me as a teenager is an understatement, and I've gotten tired of explaining the scars. But I've gotten old and less stupid, and I want to see the hackerspace pulling itself together.

I have been watching prototype robots and taking robotics classes for almost two decades. Lots of robots, lots of failure, lots of discovery, no injury. Until I was watching Hackers at Noisebridge, and a robot came zooming out of the other room, hit me hard, and swung it's arm to hit me again. I screamed. It was not a good part of the movie for excruciating pain, or the realization that I could be dead if it had come a little to the left and hit my neck instead of my shoulder. I kept watching the movie, insulted at the interruption. Nobody came to apologize to me.

I don't hold this against anyone. I want to know how to make things better. Nobody gains from anything less than excellence.

Peace,
Tao