[Noisebridge-discuss] A modest proposal / One Week Closure

Whimzy whimwiz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:05:22 UTC 2012

On 2/15/2012 11:47 PM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:

> Re closing the space at 11pm.
>
> I maintain that crippling our essential services is a lame way to
> solve this problem, and I am frustrated with the unwillingness of some
> to acknowledge the importance, to many members of our membership and
> community, of late-night hacking.

It sounds like *closing the space at 11pm* will not happen, and I really
hope that's true, because if it does happen, I'll be less of a part of
Noisebridge than I already am. (I hung out at NB practically every day
for 2 months! Working, writing, cooking, being a goofball. But that
ended when I lost my spot in the Mission.) The most amazing thing to me
was the Always Open-ness of the space. Prior to that, being
semi-homeless at the time and an inveterate night owl, I was relegated
to what few options exist for those of the vampire persuasion - say,
Sparky's diner, where it's "pay your waiter as you go", or the 24 Hour
Starbucks (only one in the City) at California and Spruce. I've always
been a late-nighter. Fuck it, let's not mince words, I've always been an
all-nighter. I remember being 14 years old in Mt. Rainier National Park
reading Marvel comic books til the sun came up at 6am, then going to
sleep just as other people were waking up. I loved that - still do. What
can I say? I'm backwards.

Apologies if anyone has already suggested this (I simply haven't been
able to read the mass of messages over the past week or two) - and this
may be my one and only useful suggestion in this seemingly endless
debate - but maybe it would be a good idea to *close Noisebridge for one
week to all but a predetermined group of paid up members and other
central people*. During that week, you could do a thorough cleaning and
organizing of the space (without throwing anyone's member materials
out), install whatever new door system you decide on, and then start
fresh. You could warn people in advance - like a 2-week notice starting
tomorrow - to get their stuff out if it's not legitimate member stuff
(i.e. oogle backpacks, troll bags, goblin suitcases), so there would be
no legit excuse for crapping one's diaper afterwards because one's
inappropriately-stashed-in-the-first-place crap gets (re)moved.

It's not a cookie, mother, it's a /newton./

Carry on, then.

TLongshanksLT

--
The Whimsical Wizard of ZiP