[Noisebridge-discuss] Embedded code - version control experience?

Earl Ruby earl at ruby.org
Mon Feb 20 06:42:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Anders Nelson
<anders.k.nelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone use version control for their embedded project code? I want to
> start using MPLAB X, which has version control built into the IDE but I'm
> curious to know if using a more accepted standard (SVN, etc) is a better
> idea. Then, of course, what's the best way to organize a repository?

According to the MPLAB X web site it has version control support for
MS Source Safe, CVS, PVCS, and Subversion. If those are your only
choices, go with Subversion.

Most IDEs that I've worked with have pluggable version control,
meaning that if you want to use some other version control system you
just need to specify the commands for adding, refreshing, and
committing updates to a repository. So if you want to use Git or
Mercurial check the MPLAB X docs (or just explore the menus) and see
if you can just add/modify the version control commands.

If you are doing solo development and you're not sharing your source
or working as part of a team you do not need a version control server.
CVS, Subversion, and Git all work just fine on your local machine. If
you later want to share your source or other people want to work with
your code you can always migrate your code repository to a shared
server.

--
Earl Ruby
http://earlruby.org/