[Noisebridge-discuss] Soda Machine

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:16:04 UTC 2012

> Lief suggests that it costs about $100 per month in
> electricity to run the vending machine.

Just one point I want to rebut.  The machine does not cost $100/mo in
electricity.

The particular one we have is fairly well insulated, and uses about 8
amps when the compressor is running, and a little under an amp when
it's idle.   It averages 3 kWh/day, and electricity is currently
~$0.20/kWh, so about sixty cents per day to run the machine.    It has
the advantage over a standard refrigerator, in that people aren't
opening it's doors all day, so the compressor only kicks on when
needed.

I'd estimate that the drinks machine, with the florescent tubes -off-
(they suck power) costs about $18-20/mo in energy costs.  A far cry
from Leif's supposition.

On a personal note, I would like to request a particular drink...
Living in Texas half time has gotten me addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper.
I assure you I'll drink at least haf the stock you buy for a slot, for
the convenience of being able to hack and not have to walk down the
block for a can.  *laugh*

-Martin