[Noisebridge-discuss] I want NoiseBridge to change.

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Feb 21 16:23:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Wladyslaw Zbikowski
<embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Crutcher Dunnavant <crutcher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Care extra special hard" is not a solution. We've had these problems
>> in oscillation since we moved into our current digs; and I believe
>> they're a structural problem caused by the interaction of our scale
>> and our government system. I'm tired of this nonsense. I'd like to fix
>> it.
>
> "Fixing it" means addressing two use cases:
>
> 1. J Random Hacker walks in visiting from the Tokyo hackerspace or
> just drove in from Peoria after reading about us on the Make blog.
>
> 2. Person who is well known to the community, who has a total lack of
> interest in or respect for what a hacker space is, shows up Yet Again
> to spend the day/night doing Whatever It Is He/She Does All The Time
> Here.
>
> A reasonable requirement is that the first person is welcome while the
> second is not. I would like to hear how a structural solution can
> solve this without having to care enough to actually talk to the
> person.

Install a small game of skill or test of curiosity. If we could
somehow filter for those with a spirit of creativity or curiousness.

I can't think of any great examples right now. Maybe something like:
 - There's a phonecam scanning for QR codes. QR codes are getting used
as analogues to keypad codes.
 - There's a sign that says "Scan your QR code. Like this one!"
 - Hang a compact mirror on some steel cable right next to it.
 - Allow that QR code to buzz open the gate, so if you hold the mirror
just right, the camera sees it.

--j