[Noisebridge-discuss] You have until March 1 to delete your Google history. -- https://www.google.com/history/

Nick Shapiro me at nickshapiro.net
Sun Feb 26 00:03:57 UTC 2012

Yes, it is very easy at the moment.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect

1) Go to http://www.google.com/history
2) Click "Remove all history"

Doing this will also pause the gathering of any new data.

I cannot find a clear answer, but it is implied that you will NOT be
able to do this after March 1st, at least for data newer than 18
months.

It was really spooky for me to look and see every address I had mapped
(including with my smartphone) since 2007. I'm glad I deleted that
before the deadline.

Despite their admirable "Don't be evil" roots, Google is now a
post-IPO company. They ultimately answer to Wall Street shareholders
who value profit above all else. Over the past few years, there seems
to have been a slow shift in their policy and culture. Please
understand that I say this with MUCH respect for any Google employees
on this list.

"This protection was especially important because search data can
reveal particularly sensitive information about you, including facts
about your location, interests, age, sexual orientation, religion,
health concerns, and more.

... Note that disabling Web History in your Google account will not
prevent Google from gathering and storing this information and using
it for internal purposes. It also does not change the fact that any
information gathered and stored by Google could be sought by law
enforcement. With Web History enabled, Google will keep these records
indefinitely; with it disabled, they will be partially anonymized
after 18 months"

Nick