[Noisebridge-discuss] On a more serious note: a personal statement to NB Discuss

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:19:18 UTC 2012

tl;dr summary:

Justin Doerr is sorry for ranting and trolling.  His intention is to
become a Human Resources asset for Noisebridge, as he feels motivated
to do so, and is of the opinion his skills are appropriate to the
task.

[ Carriage returns added for readability and clarity of the
wall-of-text.   The content of the post below has not otherwise been
altered. ]

I've recently received an email from an individual who was kind enough
to provide me proactive suggestions in the way I go about
communicating with people on the discuss list.  I want to formally
apologize if anything I've said has personally offended or upset
anyone over the discuss list.

Minor trolling is OK here and there; being an asshole is not. I aspire
to be a noble person, and I can only say on my behalf is that like
everybody else, I have really bad days and asshole tendencies, and
more than half the time I'd like to give people the benefit of the
doubt that I'm not really serious and to take what I say with a grain
of salt.

But after reading what people have been saying about myself and people
who I consider to be my friends on the "85" page, in addition to my
perception of destructive and harsh criticism towards me in person,
I'm openly admitting that it's sort of starting to take its toll on me
and I'm also publicly admitting that I feel kind of hurt and offended
by all of the cruel things people have to say about me, my friends, or
hell why stop there, people I don't even know, better yet people I do
know and actually don't like. It's so easy for people to be irrational
and fulfill their needs for temporary self satisfaction, yet it's a
lot more difficult for people to be rational and fulfill their needs
for a lifelong experience of success in whatever it is that they do.

I feel that all of this public defamation might have a lot to do with
why I have been acting so strange and distant lately, or why I've been
randomly lashing out over the internet or in person. I do however
value this space quite a lot, and by no means do I want to say I'm
"emo-quitting" Noisebridge because a handful of people want to go
ahead and be jerks; the amazing and awesome people significantly
outnumber them.

It's important for me to express that I don't want to give into what
these assholes (they're not "oogles", they're assholes) have to say
about me, because all that will lead to is me starting to behave and
act just like one of them, and reallllllly, is that who I really want
to become? A miserable troll queen? Didn't think so... Besides, I have
a great abundance of information along with ideas that I would like to
share and add to the Human Resources binder that I'm pretty confident
will positively benefit this already profound hackerspace and how I
factor into it.

Everyone here is really good at doing something, or really enjoys
doing certain things, and HR and all of its field-related topics are
things I was sort of born to do, and Noisebridge is entirely in need
of it. I'm actually really excited about this because I'm going to
make it happen, and people who come here all the time will be totally
grateful for it, that I can promise you.

It's a marvelous phenomena when perspicacious individuals like myself
finally stop wallowing in that great void of vulnerable uncertainty
and realize a purpose/opportunity within their life and actually go
for it. With that, I conclude by saying I really do need to take Miloh
up on his suggestion in getting a blog, and thank all of you for
listening to/reading my meaningless rants. I'm actually quite
surprised how many people have already said to me that they do.

Sincerely,

Justin Patrick Doer-r