[Noisebridge-discuss] Do-acratic definition?

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:36:56 UTC 2012

I don't know if this definition is in-line with what others at Noisebridge expect, but I think it's consistent with how I've seen the term used.
----------------------
What is a do-acracy?

It is not a hierarchy-free anarchy, where anybody willing to do something gets to do it.

It is not a traditional democracy, where the people deciding aren't the ones actually performing the work.

Rather, it is a form of democracy with the ability to actually *implement* an idea forming a strong component of decision making. Who shall bell the cat? If nobody is willing to implement, the idea won't get done.

Do-acracy means that a willingness to implement gives your voice more weight.

3 people willing to install drywall walls beat 10 people who wish the plaster faeries would build the walls.

3 people willing to install drywall do *not* beat 10 people who think there shouldn't be more walls.

What I see on the mailing list is a lot of people doing things unilaterally, without consultation. I'm pretty sure the -acracy suffix is there for a reason. It means you should talk to people before you do anything major, or something you know will piss people off. "I'm willing to move things around, so I get to decide on my own how Noisebridge will be organized" is a very un-excellent attitude.

Thanks,

gopi at iPad