[Noisebridge-discuss] PsychedelicSF

Daniel Jabbour daniel at psychedelicsf.org
Tue Feb 28 22:52:06 UTC 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 2:38 PM, daravinne wrote:

> And do you know why not?  Because they're ILLEGAL, thats why.  No one
> can actually do these studies because it is not legal to produce or
> consume these substances even for research purposes.  If they WERE
> legal to do research on you bet your ass there'd be a ton of research
> on what they're good for and how they affect people.

Actually, MAPS, the non-profit pharmaceutical organization I mentioned earlier, is doing just that... they're funding FDA approved clinical trials with several psychedelics at universities in the US an abroad.

See their research studies here: http://www.maps.org/research/

MAPS has chosen to work on psychological disorders: treatment of PTSD as well as end of life anxiety from terminal illness. And other psychedelics are known to the scientific community to benefit everything from depression to substance dependance to treatment of cluster headaches (http://www.clusterbusters.com/aboutcb.htm).

I don't mean to imply research in this field in abundant. It was only allowed to proceed through normal FDA clinical trials relatively recently, and there are still many legal hurtles to jump through. But fortunately the FDA was given the authority to allow this research to be conducted, minimizing the political impact that halted it for decades.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Jabbour
Organizer, Psychedelic Society of San Francisco
daniel at psychedelicsf.org