[Noisebridge-discuss] PsychedelicSF

Daniel Jabbour daniel at psychedelicsf.org
Wed Feb 29 09:05:16 UTC 2012

Sean-

MAPS isn't the only organization funding psychedelic research. The Beckley Foundation in the UK, as well as another org in the US (I can't remember the name right now) are some fairly major players.

MAPS alone is a multi-million dollar non-profit funding dozens of studies around the world, at various institutions (John Hopkins, NYU, etc).

But I agree there certainly should be more pharmaceutical orgs working on psychedelic science! MAPS has selected MDMA treatment for PTSD because they think it will be their best shot at getting a psychedelic through the clinical trial process. Because MDMA is well out of patent (as many psychedelics are), it means MAPS must take a unique non-profit approach to the drug development. In the next ~10 years, I expect MAPS will succeed at their vision- of getting MDMA through through the trials, opening psychedelic clinics around the world, and becoming leaders in the psychedelic science space. But it doesn't mean other drug companies won't produce "generic" forms of these compounds.

It's going to be a fascinating time ahead. Psychedelic science has had an amazing resurgence, the biggest modern civilization has seen since the original "discovery" of these compounds by pharmaceutical companies for psychotherapy use in the 60s.

--
Daniel Jabbour
Organizer, Psychedelic Society of San Francisco
daniel at psychedelicsf.org