[Noisebridge-discuss] Gained in translation?

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 01:11:03 UTC 2012

I'm curious what the word equivalent to "hacker" is in other languages.
Speaking as a connoisseur of the branch of art appreciation I call
"linguistic aesthetics," I must say that hack, hacker, hacking etc are not
the most lovely words in English. How does one say Hacker in

German
French
Spanish
Japanese
Chinese
etc?

Also, I've been wondering if the term "hack" as applied to a rank amateur -
for instance, the disparaging term "hack writer" - is connected to our
definition of hacking. Anyone know? Hopefully there's a lovely etymology
for the word "hack" somewhere that spells it all out.

I *heart* etymology. Sincerely. I love that language truly and visibly does
evolve before our very eyes the same way everything else does, and in a
process akin to natural selection as I understand it. It's memetically
delicious!

TLongshanksLT