[Noisebridge-discuss] Rooster watch, round 1 (documenting sleepers at NB)

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:12:58 UTC 2012

That email was really thoughtful and awesome. Jake, I'm putting your
"Noisebridge was born free and pure" quote on the wiki. You are of
course free to remove it:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Sleeping_at_Noisebridge

I think there's more to it than just entropy. There's a substantial
chunk of the community, and probably even some members, who have a
knee-jerk, fairly cruel reaction to any sort of attempt to enforce
community standards. I think that this is part of why so many people
are afraid to confront problems they see in the space. I think that
this may be a net-negative influence, but it is probably also rooted
in our anarchistic/chaotic culture, so I try to be open-minded about
it.

I think that naming sleepers is one of the least damaging but still
productive things we can do as a community. There are a lot of members
who feel strongly about sleeping in the space, and right now they are
angry at a faceless group of people they may have never met. I
personally think photos are unnecessary. I also think full names are
unnecessary. And I don't care if a few people "slip through" by giving
different names when asked, or by having very common names. This isn't
a witch hunt; we don't have to name everyone who's slept at
Noisebridge. When someone has been identified as someone who sleeps at
Noisebridge, members and people who care about the space have the
opportunity to confront them about their behavior. And while it's true
that many people seem to think that direct confrontation is a form of
torture, I'm afraid it's a time-honored Noisebridge tradition.

We have founded our community on mutual respect and open dialog.
Knowing who to talk to about sleeping in the space is the first step
to open dialog, which has thus far evaded us.  We just need to start
some sort of dialog with a significant subset of people who sleep at
Noisebridge. I genuinely believe that our one rule is sufficient, but
in order for there to be mutual respect or open dialog there have to
be two(+) parties actually interacting.

-K