[Noisebridge-discuss] Gained in translation?

jim jim at well.com
Sat Feb 4 08:13:06 UTC 2012

from  http://www.etymonline.com/

hack (v.1) Look up hack at Dictionary.com
    "to cut roughly, cut with chopping blows," c.1200, from verb found
in stem of O.E. tohaccian "hack to pieces," from W.Gmc. *hakkon (cf.
O.Fris. hackia "to chop or hack," Du. hakken, O.H.G. hacchon, Ger.
hacken), from PIE *keg- "hook, tooth." Perhaps influenced by O.N. höggva
"to hack, hew" (cf. hacksaw). Slang sense of "cope with" (such as in
can't hack it) is first recorded in Amer.Eng. 1955, with a sense of "get
through by some effort," as a jungle (cf. phrase hack after "keep
working away at" attested from late 14c.). Related: Hacked; hacking.
hack (n.2) Look up hack at Dictionary.com
    "person hired to do routine work," c.1700, ultimately short for
hackney "an ordinary horse" (c.1300), probably from place name Hackney,
Middlesex (q.v.). Apparently nags were raised on the pastureland there
in early medieval times. Extended sense of "horse for hire" (late 14c.)
led naturally to "broken-down nag," and also "prostitute" (1570s) and
"drudge" (1540s). Sense of "carriage for hire" (1704) led to modern
slang for "taxicab." As an adjective, 1734, from the noun. Hack writer
is first recorded 1826, though hackney writer is at least 50 years
earlier. Hack-work is recorded from 1851.