[Noisebridge-discuss] KISS solution to Access control & Safety

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:24:13 UTC 2012

I am getting together a group, rooted in the social engineering group,
to implement a doorcode system modeled after the system at Essex hot
tub in Berkeley. They have a large set of virally distributed codes.
Community regulars often have several codes. When there is a problem
night, all codes used that night are disabled.

I would welcome help on this project. There should be a bit more
description of it in the notes from this week's meeting. Probably get
on the social engineering mailing list if you want to keep up on
progress.

I figure hard key use would remain the same. Doorcodes would replace
the buzzer and would provide temporary access that people can
comfortably distribute freely. I think there will still be some issues
to work out, but I think it will address several of our problems.
Right now the big question is whether we can spread codes widely
enough to remove the doorbell entirely. That's my hope.

-Kelly