[Noisebridge-discuss] A consideration for access schemes: Non-member with no phone?

David Estes d at videst.es
Thu Feb 9 23:26:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jay Reynolds Freeman <
jay_reynolds_freeman at mac.com> wrote:

> I do have an odd possible problem with some of the proposals:  I don't own
> a portable 'phone.  I have plenty of hacker credentials, but I have never
> considered a portable 'phone worth the cost of the data plan.  I hope any
> access scheme the community chooses has some way for a person like me to
> obtain daylight admission.  I generally know at least six hours in advance
> that I intend to visit Noisebridge, and at that time I can usually specify
> a (say) two-hour window in which I would be arriving.

I think most code-based proposals involve a numberpad on the gate. Not
everyone has a phone, and many people wouldn't want their Nosiebridge
entries to be logged in their phone bills.

Steampunk proposal: We plant an old payphone outside; it connects to
gatebot when the receiver is picked up.