[Noisebridge-discuss] KISS solution to Access control & Safety

jim jim at well.com
Fri Feb 10 01:10:21 UTC 2012

    I think it's okay that the upstairs door is locked but
the elevator is (theoretically) accessible. Only the
intrepid will try the elevator, and there's some chance
that the elevator won't work at the time the intrepid bad
personage tries to use it. Overall the scheme has a pretty
good filtering affect of keeping drunks and incompetents
more nearly at bay.
    The idea isn't perfect, but it seems an improvement over
the way things are. Maybe at some future time we could deal
with elevator access and control (e.g. locked doors on the
roomlet where the trash and elevator are).

    One angle we should consider with respect to the street-
facing door is our downstairs neighbors: don't want to lock
them out.
    (Another angle is community geekiness unintentionally
excludes those who are not technically equipped to use the
particular chosen technology; another is that the more
complex, the greater the risk of failure; another is the
more homebrewable, the greater the risk of our hacking
ourselves out of access on a regular basis...).