[Noisebridge-discuss] API returning 403's

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sun Feb 12 23:54:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 07:48:39PM -0800, Jeffrey Carl Faden wrote:
> I'm trying to GET/POST to the Noisebridge API (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki
> /API) and getting 403's for everything I do. Am I supposed to have
> authenticated?

Are you using it from within the space (ie on pony or minotaur?) As it
says on the wiki page, "The API is currently only available within the
space. Once we have authorisation running, this will change." Under
those circumstances, it returns 403 because there isn't an authorisation
method yet.

It's a good question what authorisation should be in this case; my vague
future idea is to use the wiki user membership as the authentication. I
don't really care if it's more open than this, but there's other stuff
like the speech output which is a bit more trollololololable.

Can you get at the SpaceAPI? That *is* available from the outside, and
is a good test to see whether the API is broken (I've never had any
reports that it is).
curl -X GET http://api.noisebridge.net/spaceapi/

You can see all the authentication that happens here:
https://github.com/noisebridge/noise-api/blob/master/apache2-conf

If you want to use something computatatronic to open the door from the
outside http://pony.noisebridge.net/gate/ is probably the best answer.
Finding out the magic keys for that is left as an exercise for the
reader.

d.