[Noisebridge-discuss] Tired of Noisebridge BS, As of Late

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.org
Wed Feb 15 21:07:33 UTC 2012

I'm out of town till the 23rd, so can't come to this. If I were around
I'd happily have this discussion in Noisebridge itself so that more
people could overhear it or participate in it.

A couple of weeks ago I did ask someone to leave (Albert) just outside
of the Front End Web Dev class, because he threatened to kill some other
dude who was arguing with his friend over, I think, a possibly stolen
laptop.  Though I am not 6 feet tall (or as loud as Shannon), I  told
Albert he had crossed a line, threatened direct violence, needed to take
that outside, etc.  I just repeated those key phrases a few times along
with "I'm sorry but I'm going to have to escort you out."  He left and
so did the other 2 guys.  Just as they were leaving a bunch of people
noticed what was going on and came to back me up.   Anyway, I meant to
say that on the list so people could be aware of what happened.

One reason I felt okay doing this was that Ross and I had previously
chatted very amicably with Albert about politics and his experiences
with nuclear submarines and thus I felt we had some mutual respect
established. But also, it is the same skill as being a librarian or
kindergarten teacher, not necessarily like being a bouncer at a bar. It
doesn't necessarily have to escalate the confrontation just because
you're drawing a boundary and asking someone to leave.

No fear,

- liz

On 2/15/12 8:44 PM, Mitch Altman wrote:

> Who wants to get together on Thursday, 6:30pm, at Borderlands Cafe
> (870 Valencia, near 19th St), to brainstorm how to tell people who
> don't belong at NB to get the f out, and keep them out? Mitch.

Liz Henry
liz at bookmaniac.org
http://bookmaniac.org

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ