[Noisebridge-discuss] Tired of Noisebridge BS, As of Late

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Feb 15 21:43:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Who wants to get together on Thursday, 6:30pm, at Borderlands Cafe (870
>> Valencia, near 19th St), to brainstorm how to tell people who don't belong
>> at NB to get the f out, and keep them out?
>
> I think it's worth talking with the people who are already working on
> this (which include but are not limited to Kelly and Rachel and Jake).

Its true, there's already some great work being done being done to
address this. I don't mean to deride or belittle that work -- it's
important and still moving forward.
I just wrote this out of frustration with the ways in which our
"community" is growing. I don't feel we're growing in ways that are
still fostering strong, respectful bonds between people, and I'm tired
of seeing many structures (physical and social) break down under this
stress of negative influences being around a lot of the time.

I see this as a pretty classic "tragedy of the commons" situational
archetype. With totally-open social structures, and semi-anarchistic
supporters doing little bits of work here and there to keep things
afloat, we can't scale forever. And it's my opinion that we're edging
up against a scale boundary where valuable community members aren't
connecting in the ways that they once did, and we're not working
together as effectively as we used to.

I getting the feeling like it may be time to fork.
Similar impasses show up in the free/open source software community,
and from time to time, groups just part ways. Collaboration and
sharing still happen between groups, but they're also effectively
separate.

> Though actually it sounds jof is also tired with the member/hackshelf
> frobbing, which is maybe a different issue.

That's sort of what set me off, recently. Losing this hardware wasn't
as much of a concern, but I think it's just indicative of larger
social problems going on right now.
In the scheme of things, it's not really a big deal. I lost some
classic modems and telecom tools. It's not stuff that can be replaced,
but it's not like I needed it for my livelihood or anything.

--j