[Noisebridge-discuss] we made Delta leave at 2AM

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:42:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Praveen Sinha <dmhomee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Wladyslaw Zbikowski
> <embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> tell them to hack, they will tell you they are or are going to. Delta
>> is by no means unique in this regard, nor is he particularly an
>> asshole. He's just a struggling person who needs more help than
>> Noisebridge can offer.
>>

> This statement some how really depresses me.  I'm not sure what to do about
> it though.

Some folks just need to find a community that's suited to their
personality where they can participate in a meaningful way. Perhaps
reaching out and helping them to access some of these resources
(besides Noisebridge) could move them a step in the right direction:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Starving_hackers

Asking a group of people to move on from Noisebridge -- after they've
become accustomed to storing food and eating out of here every day --
is not big fun and is in no way a choice lightly made.

We each decide as individuals how to best use the time and resources
available to us, but I think we can all agree that as a group our top
priority is to build Noisebridge into the most epic hacker space ever:
something that will dazzle and inspire children yet to be born. A
thing that will go down in the history books with Anonymous and Perez
Hilton. An 8th Wonder of the Post-Industrial World, with hacks
emanating from its epicenter to the farthest reaches of civilization
and beyond, lifting humanity with its giant and perhaps literal
dirigible of unbridled innovation and empowering technologies, to a
future beyond the stars, all the while eagerly adding new cadets of
builders and makers and problem solvers to our ranks, while graciously
helping those in the surrounding community in any way we reasonably
can.