[Noisebridge-discuss] [dorkbotsf-blabber] Embedded code - version control experience?

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:08:36 UTC 2012

I really like Git for both embedded & non-embedded.  Especially as I
do a fair amount of editing on the go, and the ability to commit to a
local repo & then later sync to my master repo is great.  I've made
the move from SVN recently, and haven't looked back.

Doing source control with integrated IDE systems I've found to be a
little annoying (figuring out which IDE files you want excluded from
the repo, and how to make your settings files repo-friendly... i.e.
getting things to use relative paths instead of putting paths that
have your home directory name in them)...

Git also supports submodules (SVN might also by now; I know there's
been a lot of work on subversion recently)... which means you can have
projects that import other projects as dependencies, rather than
replicating code in multiple repositories.