[Noisebridge-discuss] I want NoiseBridge to change.

jim jim at systemateka.com
Tue Feb 21 18:39:16 UTC 2012

    There needs a definition of "hacking". The space has
sewing machines, lots of soldering irons and oscilloscopes,
various tools in the dirty workshop, and so on. Yet much
of the email discusses hacking with respect to the software
domain.
    A week or so ago some J R hacker stopped by the space
with an aquatic sailing device that adjusts its shape to
optimize speed and (I think) expected to be able to do some
work on it. Some months ago a group of French stopped by
the space as part of their world tour to study such spaces.
Tastebridge came out of Czeck Frantisek's persistent
efforts.

    Making a "structural change" needs clarification,
probably with respect to the definition of hacking.
    And probably the use of the equipment in the space ought
to be considered in defining hacking.

    Note that the AMTD discuss list so far has been devoid
of the drama component that occasionally explodes on the NB
discuss list. What about their structure might have a
filtering affect?
    For one thing, it seems that no one is sleeping there:
as I recall, their space has no kitchen and no couches and
does have locked doors (not easily accessible by the curious).
Is that what we want?

    Trying to fix things comes with volatility. Maybe we
don't understand our circumstance well enough. Seems to me
good to focus on doing things that __are__ hacking as we
each individually understand it and set a tone by example.
Be wary of changes that require maintenance.
    Be patient. Care hard. NB seems a natural community
space, with the complexities that come with.