[Noisebridge-discuss] Soda Machine

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:40:34 UTC 2012

On Feb 22, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Read why aspartame is never used in cooked food.

If it's a problem, perhaps you could put up a warning sign telling people not to cook with products containing aspartame? There are lots of food products that are harmful when prepared incorrectly.

> Watch the movie 'Supersize me' to see how Coke and Pepsi finance school lunch programs in order to gain permission to install vending machines in schools.

That is reprehensible, and I'm pretty sure we all agree with that.

> Another issue, why should Noisebridge have a retail outlet/dispensary for these corporations?

Because Noisebridge members want these products. If you think that as a community we should boycott the corporations, by all means propose that.

Understand that some of us have looked at the same research you've looked at and do not agree with you about the risks. It would be wise to separate what the companies do and what the products are - if you convince us that the corporations are worthy of a boycott, you'll probably find the vending machine full of responsibly-sourced caffeine and aspartame.

> Can anyone set up a corner to retail products 24/7?

If we run in to problems because too many people want vending machines, we'll figure out a way to solve it. I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Personally, I'd put Sparkfun, Adafruit, etc. above any food vending system, if I had to choose.