[Noisebridge-discuss] Soda Machine

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Feb 23 12:22:04 UTC 2012

I'm not into telling other people what to do, unless it affects me or my
friends in some way.

But as for actually stacking the soda machine, if we are going to think of
it as a collaborative Noisebridge soda machine, we should agree on a few
things about what we are doing with it, and whether it's something we can
all morally get behind.  Like offering something healthy and not poison.

Stocking the machine with cigarettes (if they fit) would serve a similar
purpose as putting in soda.  Many hackers smoke cigarettes and find them
"helpful" to completing a project, especially if it saves them a trip to
the store.

But i think that it's clear that objectively, cigarettes are bad for you,
and don't help anything.  And it seems to me that sugar is actually more
harmful:

"In an editorial published today in the journal Nature, the UCSF doctors,
Robert Lustig, Laura Schmidt and Claire Brindis, said the ballooning rates
and costs of obesity, diabetes and other diseases, mean its time for
regulators to lump sugar into the same category as booze and cigarettes
and put similar restrictions on its sale and availability. "

I would be more okay with selling Beef Jerkey out of the vending machine,
even though it's meat at least it's healthy for our fellow hacker's
bodies.

We can choose to put poison into our own bodies (tobacco, sugar) but when
our fellow hackers are needing something to put in their mouths in the
middle of the night, shouldn't we be a little more caring than to leave
them with a choice between asspartame and high-fructose corn syrup and
regular sugar (just as bad)?

Really, most of the time when you crave sugar, you just need to eat
something.  And if you want Caffiene, fucking make a pot of coffee.

http://www.oleda.com/oleda_tips/tips.asp?dept=48

http://www.papalogic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Start-Cola-Earlier.png