[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] FBI stopped by and said Hi and that there was a cyber threat from noisebridge, Feb. 21 2012 around 9pm

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 07:17:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM, ryan rawson <ryanobjc at gmail.com> wrote:

> This might be interesting to people:
>
> http://library.findlaw.com/2004/May/11/147945.html

Valuable information. And for those with short attention spans, let me
cherry pick this prime paragraph toward the end. Note the word "politely."

*Is there an intelligent alternative to lying or telling the truth that we
have not yet examined? Yes. In our hypothetical interview, you can politely
decline to be interviewed by the FBI agent. Tell the agent that you have an
attorney and that "my attorney will be in contact with you." If the agent
persists, say that you will not discuss anything without first consulting
counsel. Ask for the agent's card, to give to your attorney. If you have
not yet hired a lawyer, tell the agent that "I want to consult a lawyer
first" or that "an attorney will be in touch with you." The absolutely
essential thing to keep in mind is to say nothing of substance about the
matter under investigation. It is preferable to do this by politely
declining to be interviewed in the absence of counsel. If the agent asks
"why do you need an attorney?" or "what do you have to hide?" do not take
his bait and directly respond to such questions. (Do not even say that you
have nothing to hide.) Simply state that you will not discuss the matter at
all without first consulting counsel and that counsel will be in touch with
him. If the agent asks for a commitment from you to speak with him after
you have consulted or retained counsel, do not oblige him. Just respond
that you will consult with your attorney (or "an" attorney) and that the
attorney will be in touch. And by all means do not get bullied or panicked
into making up a phony reason for refusing to talk. You are not obliged to
explain your decision to anyone. *