[Noisebridge-discuss] Request

Andrew Gaines andy at ashbyvillage.org
Fri Jan 6 23:17:04 UTC 2012

Dear Mitch Altman and the Noisebridge Discuss list,

A friend of mine suggested I contact you to see if you and/or Noisebridge members could help out our non-profit in Berkeley.

Ashby Village is a 501(c) community membership non-profit that helps its members -- all seniors, living at home -- to continue to live independently.  We provide inter-generational volunteer home services like rides to the doctor or grocery store, computer assistance, minor home repairs (light bulbs and smoke alarms), social activities (lunches, hiking and other outings).  We have nearly 200 members and several hundred pre-screened volunteers and service providers.

Our web site is at AshbyVillage.org.  There is a recent CBS news story on what we do at:
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6604540-service-allows-bay-area-seniors-to-stay-in-their-homes/

Our entire paid staff is two people, including myself.  We survive with an office (and a town) full of volunteers!

As we've grown this year, so have our information and database needs.  We are using a cloud-based, non-profit oriented member contact/ service request/ calendar database system that we're pretty happy with.  But we now don't have the hardware for our staff and volunteers to get people the screen time we need.

So, our reqest is for donations of hardware.  We're looking for two laptops and two desktops.  We don't need the best, but can't be TOO old -- they probably need to be multi-core and multi-GB RAM to be useful.  Our fiscal agent, Lifelong Medical Carein Berkeley, will provide receipts for the IRS.

Of course, we could also use volunteer help maintaining our database, web site, and other software projects, but that's much less urgent, and would require a pretty solid commitment of time.

Thanks so much.

You can contact me at:

Andy Gaines
Executive Director