[Noisebridge-discuss] Hardware donation?

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 03:44:21 UTC 2012

I know a little bit about recycling. The state of CA pays Goodwill to
recycle. They completely take everything apart and sort it out. Chips are
sent to a place that reuses the Si and Germanium (especially) in making
solar cells - this is now actually a paying proposition, like Al cans.
Plastic is ground up and used as roadbed material. This is all good, as
well as some people are employed / trained.  As far as reusing the parts
they may reuse or resale when they define them as not too old. Their resale
prices of used computers are not so great, however I have had good
experience with used hard drives from them (still have ide 18 months back I
bought one), and a graphics card. You only have 3 days return for exchange.

Please not that *any* Goodwill accepts e-waste, including CRT monitors !

One thing I dislike about them is they do crunch up old machines that could
be used, of vintage that I use anyway and some of my friends /neighbors. So
if you have a P4 advise put it on Craigs list. Please be reasonable about
the price ! (especially if the machine has low ram, small hd, insecure
software, etc)

Another option definitely is parting out. If you have the patience.

Also I learned to service computers by working on old obsolete ones where
parts were cheap / free and consequences of failure minimal. And for
experimenting with your software also good sometimes to have a spare
machine or a few. Furthermore if you have refurbished yourself having a
spare project is an excellent safeguard to your business / schoolwork if
your good machine breaks down as I have found personally a few times.

You may be concerned with say energy use but remember please that 1/3
energy is spent in manufacturing and although recycling reduces that it
certainly does not eliminate it. I have found by force of poverty that
often a need to use an older machine you can find ways to be more
productive with it.