[Noisebridge-discuss] occucopter hackers

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Jan 5 16:49:25 UTC 2012

And cops can eat donuts until a drone comes down.  Which solution is
actually going to happen?

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Forrest Flanagan <solenoidclock at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > existence that posses enough of all of these traits to beat a balloon
> with
> > tethers.
> >
> > Besides, you'll need someone on the ground focused entirely on flight.
> > Being that third person view in three dimensions is a challenging task,
> > you'll find that most people get exhausted after almost no time at all.
> >
> > If you are still sold on the "something powered" solution...
> >
> > How do we fix flight time:
> >
> > Small blimps bob around like a buoy.  You'll get sea sick trying to watch
> > the video.  Not only that, they'll sail off unless you have a very decent
> > power supply.  Also, anything neutrally buoyant in open air?  How are you
> > going to get it back down?  I invite you to solve this problem FIRST.
> > Anything battery powered is straight out.  Lifting a battery in to the
> air
> > means short flight times - period.  Grow the battery, increase the
> amount of
> > work required to fly.  Quickly, your battery outweighs it's capacity.
> > Fuel poses another problem.  You can't simply turn fuel craft on and off.
> > If your craft goes out of control, then you have a spinning saw blade
> > looking for a target.  There are solutions...but will they work to the
> > satisfaction of, say, the police?  Believe it or not, there are laws to
> this
> > effect, and they usually require flying outside city limits.
> > Anything "copter" or "rotor" is going to eat through fuel because they do
> > not benefit from the mechanical advantage of wings.  Basically, flight
> time
> > requires wings.
> >
> > Once you've solved flight times, control is still a problem:
> >
> > Who is going to put the craft in a steady hover/flight pattern?
> > Will you have a rotation of pilots?
> > You can afford an auto pilot?  GREAT!  YOU still need to know how to fly
> and
> > YOU still need to watch your craft at ALL TIMES.
> >
> > So far, through investigating this, I have found the following recipe:
> >
> > http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ardupilot-mega-home-page
> >
> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17227__Phoenix_2000_EPO_Composite_R_C_Glider_ARF_.html
> > http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=453
> >
> > I still don't think it's a good idea, nor do I think it will please law
> > enforcement for obvious safety reasons.
> >
> > My recommendation? Balloons with tethers.
> >
> > --
> > Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
> > Einstein
> > Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da Vinci
> > Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when
> there
> > is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
> > Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly Johnson

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>