[Noisebridge-discuss] occucopter hackers

Brandon Edens brandonedens at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 03:11:38 UTC 2012

I'm dying build to my own hexacopter and will eventually. I think I'm going
to have to slowly accumulate parts.

In the meantime I just bought one of these cameras to play around with
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8667
$9.95 is pretty cheap.

Of course you need something with a reasonably fast I/O to pull the data
off of it. Maybe > 28MHz ? 640x480 * 3 * 30 ?
Beagle Bone has the clock speed; seems pretty cheap at $89. That doesn't
solve any of the wireless / power issues. If its tethered then I'd try to
use the cable that its connected to for data/power.

The more off the shelf setup could be something like one of those really
cheap Android phones like the Huawei Comet phone I got from Bestbuy for
$150. I'm sure you could probably get it even cheaper. That solution is
kinda already there. In terms of weight; it might be a whole lot lighter if
you stripped off the casing, touch screen, and keypad. I haven't
disassembled mine yet so can't give any feedback on what the pcb and camera
alone weigh. To be honest I have misplaced mine but will probably find it
soon.

I can help whip up an Android app at a moment notice if needed.
Brandon

Brandon Edens | brandonedens at gmail.com | brandonedens.org | key 0x42248B92