[Noisebridge-discuss] Can Someone Help Me with My MBR?

Christina Olson daravinne at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:08:10 UTC 2012

When i upgraded my work macbook pro from SL to Lion, the upgrade hosed
the partition tables and i was no longer able to boot into the
bootcamp partition.  the partition tables had become unsynced, and i
resynced them with refit, but that did not help.  i tried to delete
the bootcamp partition and failed at first, then broke it further
enough to get bootcamp utility to delete the partition, couldn't
recreate it.   i tried EVERY DAMN THING i could think of, booted into
single user mode, ran fsck -y over and over, and even tried
DiskWarrior, and nothing fixed whatever the problem was.  i eventually
gave up and just backed up and wiped the entire disk and reinstalled
and set everything up from scratch.  you may have a different story
with grub and something else (grub is less retarded than M$ MBR, i
think).  You can also mount the computer as a target drive on another
mac (has to be a mac) using a firewire cable and work on it that way.

to the best of my recollection, it's actually pretty easy to take
unibody macs apart since the entire underside just comes off if you
unscrew it.  the hard drive is easily accessible:
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/3Sn1yxoiQvoJjZFk.large  so if you
want to pull the drive its just 4 or 6 screws or whatever and you're
in.