[Noisebridge-discuss] [ml] ML meetup: sociological datasets (Thursday 1/19 @ 6:30pm)

David Knupp knupp at well.com
Fri Jan 20 00:11:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Just an brief introduction, and a question. I'm developing an interest in
machine learning, but I'm pretty much a complete ML newbie. I started
trying to take the class being offered by Stanford last quarter, but the
insanity of the holidays plus various end-of-year job-related deadlines
all combined to make it pretty much a hopeless venture. I have much higher
hopes this next time around. (I believe the class starts up again on the
23rd.)

I'm an artist-turned-QA engineer by day, and fairly handy with python and
perl, though I don't have any experience with R. I don't have an extensive
math background, but I didn't find the math in the ML class too hard to
follow along with.

I don't know what kind of things this group covered in the past. I'm
wondering whether there's a place of the uninitiated like myself.

In any event, I may try to stop by this evening.

Thanks,
--d.