[Noisebridge-discuss] Interview about planned obsolescence?

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 18:30:34 UTC 2012

On Jan 21, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Brian Morris wrote:

> Umm, there's a lot more to a laptop than the motherboard and the outer shell.

What else did you have in mind? I usually upgrade RAM and disk drive capacity when I'm replacing a machine. I was including the display and keyboard in the outer shell, although since an active matrix display is essentially a semiconductor device it may push the production resource usage up. I still don't think it will rival a motherboard with its high speed fine pitch parts.

> (try taking one apart sometime, or look on the hacker shelves at NB for examples).

First time I disassembled a laptop was in 1993. :)
I've hand-reworked TSSOP packages on a PDA so I could get more DRAM in it.