[Noisebridge-discuss] Question about 501(c)(3) status ....

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Sat Jan 28 04:05:41 UTC 2012

They are different.  501(c)(3) status is an IRS status indicating
tax-exemption and the ability to accept donations that are then
tax-exempt for the donor.  It is possible to be a CA Public Benefit
Corporation, which is a type of corporation registered in California,
but not have the IRS 501(c)(3) status.  Noisebridge was in this state
for our first almost year of operation.  In a nutshell, the type of
corporation is a state law issue, whereas federal tax exemption is a
Federal law issue.  Related but different.