[Noisebridge-discuss] Long-lived, battery-powered AVRs

Simon Schubert 2 at 0x2c.org
Mon Jan 30 13:37:05 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 09:47 AM, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> I'm interested in helping someone I know with a project to build a
> remote AVR-based sensor (arduino parts) that will use an Xbee to
> detect a gate latch opening and closing. Since it's in a bit of a
> remote spot, it has to be battery powered.

I've seen very low power ARM MCUs from STM, the STM32L line.  They will
do <1uA in deep sleep mode.  On a CR2032 battery, it should be able to
sleep for about 40 years.  Of course once you do stuff, this figure goes
down.

If you're set on AVR chips, then I can't help much.  There are some
super low power attiny as well.

cheers
  simon