[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [#owsdirectory] You are invited to OWS Directory’s Phase II working sprint -- Save the date!

jenny ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:00:00 UTC 2012

-------- Original message --------
Subject: [#owsdirectory] You are invited to OWS Directory’s Phase II working sprint -- Save the date!
From: Occupy Directory <directory at occupy.net>
To: owsdirectory at lists.riseup.net
CC:

#OWSdirectory Phase II Sprint

Friday, July 20th, 2012
San Francisco & Virtually
9am–5pm EST (12pm-8pm PST)
→ REGISTER

You are invited to join with us in creating the next evolution of the #occupy directory!

OVERVIEW

We have two primary objectives for this Sprint. First, we need to add the last few remaining features and give the whole site some polish and sheen. Then, we’d like to create a re-usable product that other communities can benefit from.

Step I: THE POLISH AND THE SHEEN

Enhancing the User Experience!
Creating a curator handbook and workspace.
Refining mapbox mapping.
Improving search functionality.
More effective social media integration.
Defining the architecture of the new Venues feature.

Step II: CREATE A RE-USABLE PRODUCT

There is currently a lot of interest in our site from like-minded groups that need to manage hacker spaces, sustainable communities, urban farms, foreclosures and map them. Turning the OWS Directory platform into an open source directory product that can share in-network information would prove tremendously valuable to many other groups in need!

Here’s a link to the Sprint Agenda and the Sprint Schedule
SPRINT PHYSICALLY

We’ve been granted a meeting room at We Work Labs SF from 12pm – 8pm PST.
SPRINT VIRTUALLY

Anyone who cannot make it to San Francisco can join us virtually via Google+ hangouts and IRC (detailed instructions to follow).
HOW CAN I SIGN UP?

Please let us know if you can participate. Go to http://guestli.st/110208 and indicate your primary area of interest (Dev, Content or Design).

Know others who may be interested in attending? Pass along the event signup link...the more minds present,  the more productive we can be ;)

Andrew Mallis
#ows Tech Ops | FGA | mappingthemovement | Occupy Directory

The #Occupy Directory - [http://directory.occupy.net] - is a public listing of all known Occupation sites built by and for the #Occupy movement. All our data is FREE and PUBLIC in a variety of formats, offering a service layer upon which other apps can be built. The directory was instantiated with data from our partners at occupytogether, wealloccupy, the Guardian, and many others. Surveying the landscape, we saw there were many overlapping, spreadsheet-based, directory projects. We identified a need to standardize the data collected, liberate it from google, and assist information gathering and editing with data validation, editorial workflows, and community participation. All listings are now actively added and managed here by the community (you). The Occupation Directory is a sub-project of the Federated General Assembly (FGA) and a piece of a much larger and interesting puzzle that is the new social web we're building!