[Noisebridge-discuss] Opensource Personal Robot in NB: DORA Project

Hao hao at dorabot.com
Sat Jul 7 02:31:41 UTC 2012

Hi Noisebridgers,

I'm working on a robot project called DORA Opensource Robotic Assistant, a
project that aims at providing affordable personal robot, and starts with
giving Noise-bot (the wheelchair robot) the ability to manipulate stuff
automatically, say get a soda from fridge or loading dishwasher in NB.

I've been building or working with robots since 2008, and I'm pretty much
now what I'm doing. It's hard, but possible. Currently 4 people in NB shows
interest in working together on the project, including me, Jake, Carlos and
Harry. It's an open project so anybody can join, learn, contribute, helping
out. Feel free to join our google group
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/dorabot and ask about
whatever you are interested in the robot, and also visit project website
dorabot.com (which is powered by google site, that I can use some advice
about how to make it more interactive).

Basic info about Noise-bot:

It runs ROS (Robot Operating System), has a PC on board, equipped with
kinect, webcam, wireless router, arduino, car battery, has the ability to
move around. It has a gigantic 5 DOF (Degree of Freedom) robotic arm that
doesn't function too much now, but we are going to repair and control it
with ROS.

I need some help now. In order to give Noise-bot the ability to move stuff
around, we need to mount a touch sensor on the gripper of the robotic arm.
I'm working on a new type of touch/pressure sensor and finished the basic
test circuit yesterday together with Jake. The sensor use I2C to
communicate with a master controller, so I want to know *if anybody has a
spare arduino (with USB) that I can borrow for days *to test the sensor
out.

thanks guys.

--
DORA = DORA Opensource Robotic Assistant
dorabot.com