[Noisebridge-discuss] SF Gigabit Hack Days at Internet Archive / July 21-22nd

Ben Moskowitz ben at mozillafoundation.org
Thu Jul 12 03:00:44 UTC 2012

People of Noisebridge,

I'm writing to share details on an hackfest and workshop that's being organized by Mozilla, Internet Archive, and the City of San Francisco.

We are convening network engineers, web developers, designers and researchers to prototype applications that use 100Mbps—1Gpbs connectivity, Back to the Future style:

http://sfgighackdays.eventbrite.com/

The event is open to all. Participants will have access to Internet Archive infrastructure (40Gbps uplink and many petabytes of archival data, including the Wayback Machine and Moving Image collections).

This is also a good place to learn about the SF/Internet Archive community broadband initiative, providing (uber)fast and free connectivity throughout the peninsula.

If you've ever wondered about what the web will look like in 5 or 10 years, when bandwidth and processing power is no big thing—come hang out with us and hack some prototypes.

Cheers,
Ben

***

San Francisco Gigabit Hack Days, July 21-22nd
presented by Mozilla, the Internet Archive, and the City of San Francisco
300 Funston Ave, San Francisco CA

About the event

In a world with universal, ultra high-speed networks, all our assumptions about the web can be reset. What kinds of apps can we build when data can travel as fast as it needs to, and processing power is never a bottleneck?

Through the US Ignite initiative, cities across America are leveling up with 100Mbps to 1Gbps citywide networks. When paired with open web technologies and networking innovations, the next generation of apps will open up a whole new round of innovation and deliver huge public benefit.

On July 21st and 22nd, join Mozilla, the City of San Francisco, the Internet Archive, and a crew of forward-thinking technologists to imagine and build prototypes of apps from the future. We'll spend two days prototyping innovative uses of Gigabit networks and make plans to work together over the next year.

What will happen?

At this event, we'll spend very little time yakking, and a lot of time hacking. Everyone is welcome, but you must participate.

After brief introductions and a tour of the facilities at the Internet Archive, we'll break into small teams consisting of designers, developers, network engineers.

Over two days, we'll build prototype apps that require ultra high speed and/or smart networks. At the end of two days, we'll share the results and have a discussion about where to take this next. And eat, drink and socialize.

We want running code, not just ideas. Prototypes created here could evolve into submissions to the Mozilla Ignite challenge, with $500,0000 of seed money and mentorship available to help get them off the ground.

Who should come?

This event is open to anyone with an interest in pushing the envelope with open web technologies and fast networks. Come prepared to get your hands dirty.

Ahead of the event, we'll be assembling small teams based on topics like big data analysis, high fidelity video, complex data visualization, telepresence, and etc. Come cold and we'll pair you with a team, or let us know your interests and expertise during sign-up. If you're interested in leading a team, drop us a line at ignite at mozillafoundation.org.