[Noisebridge-discuss] Wireshark and nmap active use Sat 1-4

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sat Jul 28 17:01:39 UTC 2012

To: "NoiseBridge Discuss" <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
From: "Glen Jarvis" <glen at glenjarvis.com>
Subject: Wireshark and nmap active use Sat 1-4

We will be portscanning and monitoring noisebridge network traffic on
Saturday,
28-July between 1 and 4 pm. We may also be portscanning and monitoring
noisebridge traffic on Saturday, 4-Aug between 1 and 4 pm. This is only a
courtesy reminder as our network policies state that this activty may be
happening on a regular basis.

Noisebridge is one of a few networks where one can experiment legally.
Several
of us are researching the nmap and wireshark tools and will be using the
Noisebridge network to do so (to see example potential traffic on the
netowrk,
etc.).  Our intent is not malicious, only educational. If we find anything
that
could be used maliciously, we will not do so, but wil instead bring it to
everyone's attention in an appopriate manner.

Below is a reminder of our posted statements regarding the security of our
network:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Visitor_advice#Hostile_network

Hostile network
The network at Noisebridge - like any public network - should be regarded as
potentially hostile. This means that you should assume that any unencrypted
communications over the network could be (and most likely are) monitored by
others. Examples of vulnerable communications include POP3/IMAP email
clients,
most web browsing, IRC/AIM and similar chat protocols that are often not
encrypted. While no issues have come up to date, and our code of conduct
opposes malicious monitoring of others, it is wise to be aware of the
potential. Stick to using SSL or secure tunnels or VPNs for anything that
uses
a password or that you otherwise wouldn't want other people to read. If you
don't know how to protect your communications with encryption, many people
at
Noisebridge would be glad to help you out! (It would be nice if someone
would
provide links to a decent guide here.)

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network#Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Please note that Noisebridge does not guarantee or provide a perfect secure
experience in the space. Just like anywhere else in the world you're held
responsible for your own safety and wellbeing. This also includes content
you
receive or transmit or provide through any mediums, such as through pen and
paper, sound waves or any networks wired or wireless functioning in the
space.
Noisebridge is a volunteer run and operated space that provides you with
infrastructure, which you use at your own risk.  As much as anyone
volunteering
at the space could state that we (Noisebridge) can provide you with a secure
web browsing experience, this view may not be reflected over all of its
members
and participants (which is the actual case). Please take our advice and
services with a grain of salt and understand that the only sure secure
network
is one that you setup and operate yourself.  Thank you for reading, please
continue now on creating interesting things.  --rubin110 05:48, 25 December
2010 (UTC)

Free Open Unsecure Wifi
Noisebridge generally has two or more unencrypted open wifi access points
available for your use. If you can see the "noisebridge-a" network,
congratulations, you have an 802.11a-compatible card and should use this
network as it is better faster and stronger than the others. If you cannot
see
noisebridge-a, either it is not working or you do not have an 802.11a card.
You
probably have an 802.11g card. Hopefully you can see the "noisebridge"
network,
which is the one you should use in that case. Like any public network, you
should regard noisebridge's as potentially hostile and take appropriate
precautions.  The following networks are active at 2169 now: noisebridge -
No
encryption, NATted via the Sonic.net and Monkeybrains links, 802.11bg
noisebridge-a - No encryption, NATted via the Sonic.net and Monkeybrains
links,
802.11a noisebridge-tor - No encryption, all traffic transparently proxied
through tor.

Kindest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
- --
"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life as a dog does his
master's chase. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it,
unearth it, and gnaw it still."

- --Henry David Thoreau