[Noisebridge-discuss] few questions on cinematography

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 12:38:08 UTC 2012

Hi to all,
I have three cinematography related questions on the interested ones in the genre among us.

First, how do you call movies which deal with two different "dimensions", what terminus technicus can be used? Two examples would be for example Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away) 2011, Hayao Miyazaki and another one The Others 2001, Alejandor Amenábar. I am quite sure there is a word for this type of movies. I feel that "fantasy" doesn't exactly applies it is kind of to broad, I was trying to check "transdimensional" but doesn't seem to be used. I got to this through discussion with a friend on a last night movie marathon here in Seoul and I promised to find out.

Second question is a for recommendation of some high quality, online and free access platform where I could educate myself more about cinematography. I am big fan of high quality movies for a while and I would like to both get a bit deeper in to it and also cover the gaps. I'm not aiming to become a "professional expert" but I want to be more knowledgeable. Time is not really an issue, it is a long term project. Of course some good book on a topic would be great.

Third is something which bothers me for many years. Up to know I'm waiting most of the time for 2-5 years after the premier of the movie before I watch it. The reason is to avoid the enormous amount of low quality production. I have found many times hard to distinguish from high quality pieces because someone always writes a good recommendations and some of your friends will recommend and it is just a waste of time. So I wonder if there would be some good reliable online source which would have a high quality review published fast enough so you can still make it for premiere (I live most of the time in different countries than the ones where the movies are made so I have a bit more time). I'm sure there are some sources out there, but I got quite put off previously. Here I have to make a sad note, because even if the movie is good, I'm really tempted not to see it in the usual movie theaters because I still clearly remember how much I was looking forward
 to see the second part of the Lord of the Rings and how the popcorn and cook of the couple sitting behind me lasted till the half of the movie and you could really tell ... (I love movie clubs and I miss the Czech old style cinemas from before the Velvet revolution where if you started even slightly to disturb you were on your way out helped by the old lady sitting there making sure that everything is "proper" whole evening (I was not dating back then so no problem for me ...).

Thanks a lot for tips, I'm adding just few sources which I have found useful till know and also three movies which I have seen just recently and found interesting.

http://www.criterion.com/   Criterion Collection which I use for years to find recommendations for really good movies

http://www.csfd.cz/    Czech Movie Database with similar functions as Criterion Collection primarily for Czech speakers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In_(film)   Låt den rätte komma in 2008 (Let the right one in) from Tomas Alfredson, horror based on a really nice novel of the same name from John Ajvide Lindqvist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sassy_Girl    엽기적인 그녀 (My Sassy Girl)  2001 from Kwak Jae-yong, it was one of my first introductions to the Korean cinematography, it is crazy movie I liked it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_the_Beehive El Espiritu de la colmena (Spirit of the Beehive) 1973 from Victor Erice. I have seen this movie a while ago but after seeing few days ago El Orfanato (The Orphanage 2007) from Juan Antonio Bayona with Guilermo del Torro being involved as producer it reminded me El Laberinto del Fauno (The Pan's Labyrinth) from Torro to which The Spirit of the Beehive was an inspiration.

Take care and once more many thanks,

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Ghandi